Monday, April 18, 2005

Decisions, decisions

I have been completely torn for the last week and that is why you haven't heard from me! I got an offer from CU on Thursday that isn't quite as sweet as my UNC offer, but it is the highest fellowship they offer. It is for 22,000 the first year and then a little less after that. I told UNC about this, and they offered me *ANOTHER* $2000. I have to admit, money does talk, and makes decisions HARD! I have been tossing and turning every night and have been completely pre-occupied trying to figure out what I want to do with my life. UNC provides biomedical engineering. That is what the degree is called. CU is the called EE, I'd be learning how to design analog circuits. However, this would be for biomedical applications. After hmming, and hawwwing, I decided it would be in my best interest to have the EE so I have more job options... I can do EE and I can also do biomedical if I want. It will also give me the opportunity to have more choices on places to live. I do NOT see myself living in a big city. I won't be interested in all the classes like I would be at UNC, so this is something I had to give up. I will have regrets no matter what choice I make, and that is what makes this so hard. I would say that I have no regrets in my life so far. I have been careful to think through big decisions in order not to have regrets. I am picking CU. There is a possibility I could change my mind between now and Wed (my deadline), but my mind is pretty much made up. Regrets I will have about NC are that it may be the only chance I will have to live in Chapel Hill or out East, the money is not the same, and the program is totally different. Either way, it is taking a chance. I know I would be happier in Boulder as far as quality of life is concerned. I have wanted to live there my entire life and it has a schmorgasbord (sp?) of things that I love to do. It is also in the mountains, a dream come true! :) Now I just have to find a place to live. Unfortunately, I will have to have a roommate. NOOOO!!! Maybe it'll be someone cool. Maybe I'll run into Tyler Hamilton and see if he could hook me up with da juice! Just kidding. I failed to mention that Adam and I saw him riding when we were in Boulder.

My next race is this weekend in Cloudcroft, NM. High Altitude Classic. It should be fun...last year I had a horrible race. I borrowed someone's bike, and it didn't really work. I wrecked for most of the race, and had to walk all the hills b/c the bike wouldn't shift. This course is ALL hills. I threw the bike down at the end and went away to pout like a baby. Adam, bless his heart, followed me to make sure I was alright. All I wanted to do was hide! So this year will be much better. I have MY OWN bike to ride, and I'm hopefully faster overall! ;) Speaking of rides...what a crazy weekend. I got caught in a hailstorm and almost in a tornado. They were warning people to seek shelter. Grrreeaat. Just my luck! 2 weekends ago I was in the Blizzard of '05. This weekend I'm near a tornado and massive hail..we haven't had a tornado in Alb since the 80s! However, Sunday was a perfect day and I got to ride with my friend Jessica. She is going to Duke in the fall.

I have to confess... last night, Adam and I ate burgers(at least mine was grilled portabello), fries, beer, and ice cream. I cringe thinking about it, but it was DANG good! :) I don't think this really goes with my training. Ha! Guess I'll be eating salad all week. Next weekend is the Gila. Dang, I am way too fat to do that right now! I need to way like 110 lbs. That would be sweeeet.

3 weeks of school left.... can't wait! ;) Then I can go and suffer in another engineering department for another 4 years! ha!




No comments: