Tuesday, November 13, 2007

update coming soon...

Sorry it's been so long. My roommate moved out, I didn't have internet, I got busy, and I have a million excuses. :)

Long story short. My half marathon that I ran 4 times to train for...went surprisingly well. I somehow thought I was training at an 8 min/mi pace, but after I looked down at my watch after every mile and saw I was funning between 6 and 6:30 min/mi, I was in shock and awe. It was really cold at the start. I went with Jamie and we left at 6:30 AM. It was still in the 20s and the sun didn't come up till right before the start.

Part of the course as the sun came up. It was in Loveland

I had a blast and midway through I even thought, "Hell. This is WAY easier than a mountain bike race." However, I made a rookie mistake and didn't drink any water. I forgot how hard it is while you're running-- I'm used to feed zones on my bike. Mile 9 is where the fun began- cramping which continued to the bitter end. My mile times were 8-9 min/mi and I lost 4-5 min overall. I crossed the line (and got passed in the last mile by a girl, shoot!) and nearly fell over. My entire body was cramping so bad I had to hold on to things to stand up. For days after, I walked like Frankenstein Gumby. I could barely walk...ask anyone. :) It was quite the scene and no fun for me. I ran a 1:33 which put me in 3rd overall for the women. I'm a little confused by the results because they did not include the 2 master's women who beat me...so I think the real result was 5th. It was such a shock and now it's got me wondering how fast I could do it if I actually trained for it for a few months. I'm running a 10K on Thanksgiving... but man! I ran today, if that's what you want to call it, and my ankles and knees were killing me. Jamie who immensely added to my fun was running the 10K. I think he won his age group and is just an all around badass. :)


Jamie. aka the black knight.


My lovely blister that still hasn't healed. I felt it coming on around mile 7. Guess I should have tried a little harder to break in my shoes.


Running races are sweet. They make you unlimited pancakes and give you cool schwag with your entry. Maybe the mtb promoters need to get a clue. ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The pancake server in your last photo looks super happy to be there! "What are you looking at? Do you want another damn pancake or what?!?"