Wednesday, December 05, 2007

It's December...

That means it's time to start training for the 2008 race season. I'm really excited for next year. It's going to be my best one yet, I can feel it!! :) I'm going to keep my running regimen up for another month or two. Women build most of their bone density before the age of 26 or 27. Cycling isn't exactly the best sport for doing that, so I am trying to get as much going as I can. :) There is also a great crossover from running to cycling as far as strength. It doesn't work quite as well the other way, although overall fitness plays a huge part once you get over all the pounding. My next running race is a 10K on December 15. My goal is to break 40 min. I think I can do it as long as the course isn't super hilly.

Yesterday was the first ride I counted as new training. Dec-Jan means I have to go for long rides and go slow (meaning keeping my perceived exertion pretty low). It's important to let your body come back down after pushing it at high intensity for so long. Let the jets cool down so to speak. This phase of training is always the most challenging for me. I like to go hard. Specifically, I love going hard up hills and mountains on my mountain bike. Winter means training on flat roads at low intensity. Mentally, it's harder for me. Call me crazy! ;) Yesterday's ride was SUPER windy. I thought it was the apocalypse. ;) 40mph constant wind speed with gusts much greater than that. I almost got blown off the road a few times.

Today was the first day back in the weight room. I do weights for a couple months over the winter for general muscle strength, bone density, and also because it may help with power on the bike. I haven't determined if it actually helps, but I do it anyway. It actually felt pretty good to get back in there and avoid making eye contact with all the meatheads. :)

I have been spending some quality time with my friends. I am now cutting way way back on the drinking/partying. I'm going to keep it pretty dry for the next 2 weeks and then keep it pretty limited. In March, I'll eliminate it completely except for maybe 1-2 drinks a week (like red vino or a dark beer....!)

Jeff came up from ABQ to visit. I tried to show him Boulder a little bit-- we went hiking at Chautauqua, visited a couple of the Boulder breweries (hell yeah!), drove around in the mountains a little bit. I was bummed we didn't have time to ride so I could show him how cool the road riding is around here, and also make fun of the boulder coffee shop trustafarians. :) (I wish I was one!)


Several of my friends have said that Anne is the blonde version of me. :) We are two peas in a pod. I went down to Denver to cook dinner with her...good times.


She actually cut her tongue licking the cuisinart. You can see a drop of blood on her tongue... thats totally something I have done.

I love trail running. I like my sweet smartwool socks with capri length pants even more. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Trail running!? I'd rather be in the boozer to be honest watching the footie!