Saturday, December 15, 2007

Where have I been?

Well... I have some good news and some bad news. Good first! Thursday I finished my Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering. I was elated to be done and relieved! I went out to lunch for sushi with my friend that afternoon, ignoring the sore throat I had gotten the night before. It was all downhill from there. I started getting a fever and could barely eat. On the way back to my car, I started shivering so hard I was convulsing and people were stopping in the street to see if I was ok. I managed to grab some Theraflu at the store and went home to check my temp. It was 100.6. I started feeling worse so I checked again. 101.5. I checked again 10 min later. 102.6. I checked in another 15 min. 103.5!!! I was delirious with fever, bawling, and really scared. The tylenol finally kicked in and kept my fever at a steady 101. I was doing everything I could to bring the fever down. As soon my medicine began to wear off, it'd come back in full force. I went to the doc the next morning and they said I didn't have StrepA, but some other type of bacterial throat infection. I was already spitting in a bowl b/c I couldn't really swallow, but I kept getting worse. I had to go back later to get something for the pain so I could take in fluids. A couple hours later, I noticed my throat was almost swollen shut. I hadn't been able to really speak since Thurs night. I went back to urgent care because I had difficulty breathing. They sent me to the hospital because I had an abscess on my right tonsil. My eyes popped out of my head when I saw the needle the doc was going to stick down my throat. Then he got out the scalpel and made a 1/2 inch incision and held it open with hemostats to drain out all the puss. It was pretty intense and I almost fainted.

so that's where I have been. Bedridden since Thursday, but finally showing some signs of improvement. It's going to take a few more days, but I'm getting there. I have never been this sick in my life. I wanted to thank all of my friends for taking care of me and checking on me. You guys are the best! And hey, I have my Master's Degree!! woooohoooo

We were celebrating Leslie's bday all last weekend, so I'll have to do a post on that when I have more energy. I'm going home in a couple days too. Can't wait! :)

No comments: